the padded cage

i like it here.

Friday, November 24, 2006

bright green companion



sometimes, like this morning, my ignorance serves me well.

i got into my little car, same as any morning, to go to work. I switch on my radio, Rammstein tells me the sun is coming this way. I back out of the driveway of my parents' house and absently wonder if I'll ever be able to afford a place of my own.

i shift to first gear and turn into the road, when i notice for the first time a bright green grasshopper chilling on my windscreen wiper. As i shift to 2nd and 3rd, i see him wriggle his antennae. The further i travel on my way to work, the higher up on my windscreen my little green friend travels.

halfway to work, he turns to face the road. he is a bit of an exhibitionist, as he shows me his bright yellow derrier, antennae blowing in the wind. he seems to be enjoying the ride.

i turn into the parking area at the office. and switch off my engine. a pang of regret seizes me. i wonder if my little green friend had family where i so callously took him away. and i wonder if il ever see him again, knowing i probably won't.

such are the vulgarities of life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely story, Neko.

I suspect your little green friend had friends in your office car park, but just couldn't be bothered to fly there.

You made his day. And by way of thanks, he showed you his derriere. :)

5:16 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

*smiles*

thanks, winters. you're probably rite.

*^_^*

8:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool post. :) I've thought the same about ants which I've found in the car after a ten hour drive.

Don't worry, I'm sure he's just a bachelor living the fast life. He probably hasn't left any family (that he knows about) behind.

10:00 pm  
Blogger morbid misanthrope said...

I'd have turned the windshield wipers on him.

1:38 am  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

a green car adornment - cool. Maybe he'll find some chums there that he would never have met if you hadn't given him a lift. And maybe they'll mate with him and you'll have spread his genes further than he could ever have imagined. Or maybe they'll eat him. Such is life.

5:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home