the padded cage

i like it here.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

in can descent rage




pet peeves

[ed’s note: i always considered myself incredibly easy-going. till i got the idea in my head to make a list of things that make my blood boil with anger. so, here they are, compiled neatly, for your viewing pleasure. so, if the police ask what happened: this may be as good a place to start looking for clues as any.]

pet peeve #1:
people who are inconsiderate.

this includes drivers, or other road users. family. friends. people at restaurants. people using facilities. office parties where you have to queue for food. pity him/her who has to be at the end of the queue!

pet peeve #2:
other people’s undisciplined children.

allow me to relate a snippet of a past experience (this was about 3 or 4 years ago): people from my mom’s work bring their brat kids with them for dinner at our house. brat kids run and scream up and down the house. brat kids jump on my and other beds in house, not even having the courtesy to take off their shoes. brat kids smack older people of all ages because they dont get their way. brat kids bang on my computer coz they cant wait their turn. i dont like my face or personal property being assaulted. i smack one brat kid on ass. [in retrospect, maybe i shouldve just left the room.] brat kid runs to his mommy and daddy, yelling that i smacked him. says he wasnt doing anything, he just wanted to play with his friend [other brat kid from my extended family]. so, essentially, i assaulted him without provocation. and HIS PARENTS BELIEVED HIM OVER ME and they left. good riddance. good f***ing riddance. im one of those slow to anger, but explosive when angry, individuals. i was a quiet well-behaved kid. my parents needed only LOOK at me for the fear of all hades to enter me and make me behave myself. in my LIFE, i had never experienced such ill-behaved children! omg. hanging on door handles, banging on doors, spilling juice, omfg. never again. if ever i am faced with a similar situation, il just get into my little car and drive away.

i blame the parents entirely.

pet peeve #3:

i have to situate myself right next to lexi and j on their BAD SERVICE band wagon. it is as lexi said, there is just no excuse for it. specially since the customer is paying for the service. i understand having a shitty job, and all that, but how hard could it be to smile every so often? and do the job you were trained to do? maybe the people at my job are just over-active when it comes to this sort of thing. performance appraisals – harsh demon-spawned devices of terrific torture.

pet peeve #4:

injustice makes me angry. here’s an example: in my family, both me mum and dad’s sides, they have this... shall we call it tradition? the basic premise is this: women must serve men. men bring in the bacon. what does this mean for a girl like myself? washing dishes, laying tables, cleaning house, etc etc. this is what my holidays visiting extended family is like. [which is interesting, coz at home, i dont do any of these things.] what does this ideology mean for my [spoiled rotten] brother? he gets to sit on his ass and do nothing. hang out. watch tv. go driving with the uncles.. etc etc.

makes my blood boil.

[there’s a lot more to this, i just dont have the energy for it.]

[[something slightly unrelated: when i went to visit my boyfriend at his family’s house for the first time ever, he asked me if there was anything i didnt eat. to which i replied that im very easy-going. it was only upon getting there, for my 2 week visit, that we soon came to the conclusion that everything they made, was pretty much stuff i dont eat. only then did i realise, im actually quite picky... the reason i hadnt picked up on this before, is coz my family pretty much all eat the same kinda thing. but, when i got exposed to completely new cuisine... yeah. the rest is history. i still dont think im a picky eater. but, i realise im not as easy going as i thought i was.]]

21 Comments:

Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I am usually pretty good about getting along with service people, 'cause I know what it is like to have to wait tables after you have a college degree because of a couple bad decisions combined with some bad luck.

But I actually found myself arguing with a waitress about whether scrambled eggs folded over in an omelette with nothing in it was an omelette or scrambled eggs.

Just like a scene in that movie Grosse Point Blank.

Life copies art--weird. I was actually ready to walk out of the restaurant.

It was just one person having a bad day colliding with another person having a bad day.

omelet
One entry found for omelet.


Main Entry: om·e·let
Variant(s): or om·e·lette /'äm-l&t, 'ä-m&-/
Function: noun
Etymology: French omelette, alteration of Middle French amelette, alemette, alteration of alemelle thin plate, ultimately from Latin lamella, diminutive of lamina
: beaten eggs cooked without stirring until set and served folded in half.

Turns out the John Cusack character and I were right, but it's really a Phyrric victory, isn't it??

10:36 pm  
Blogger Trundling Grunt said...

Difficult list to argue with. I'm particularly with you on #4 but I had to read it twice to see what you meant as injustice. Now I do and totally agree.

4:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i encountered 2 brat children in my life. they just ran up and down in the house and were screaming and messing everything they ate on the floor...

it was yet the most annoying thing ever.shockingly enough the parents didnt even shout at the kids...almost like they accepted their behaviour.

kp

8:24 am  
Blogger Reenen said...

I liked this post. Well written and easy to read. :-)

Anyway, to the content.

1. I'm gonna (paraphrased) quote a Dogbert here...

It seems to me you are very inconsiderate of inconsiderate people. For someone who thinks they are considerate it's extremely inconsiderate not to let them be inconsiderate. Consider their right to be inconsiderate before you say they are inconsiderate.

:-) I loved this.

2. I watched Oprah (*gasp*) last night, where she had a Dog trainer there. I believe people are similar to dogs... they should be disciplined to make them able to be loved.

3. Bad service... When I was a waiter I was pretty bad. So I have some understanding, and I almost always tip 10%. Although, if the service was unpleasant (not slow, but unfriendly, unhelpful, unapologetic (of bad service), etc.) then I'd tip much less.

4. I think that injustice isn't cool. However, discrimination and injustice are very much part of life, but it sucks having it in your backyard.

9:34 am  
Blogger Reenen said...

I hate the fact that I cannot edit my posts... I saw a grammar error.

thinks = think*

9:37 am  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

mr wizard,
um. when you eat the egg. and it goes down your system...

what does it matter ultimately what it is called? it all goes down the same way.

maybe both of you just had the urge to vent a little.

mr grunt,
yeah. its been going on for years and is pretty pointless to try and fight.

the old people, who enforce this, are becoming extinct. so, its not too bad to put up with anymore.. i dont mind doing menial tasks for the elder ones. its not like i have anything better to do when visiting them anyway.

kp,
like i said, i blame the parents.

it amuses me how these same parents will one day look on in shock: "how can my kids treat me so badly after all ive done for them??"

i shall snicker to myself quietly.

reenen,
aw. fanks! *blushes*

1. do unto others.

2. giving your kids the basic socially acceptable skills is the duty of the parents. its not to make them more lovable. it's to make them function in society.

3. i always tip. i mean, the personal servant thing has to suck. but, when they are unfriendly and unnecessarily un-nice, no tip for them.

4. injustice of any kind really peeves me. but, i try to not get too worked up when there's truly nothing i can do about it.

go along to get along, and all that.

** i hate not being able to edit comments either. my typos and grammar errors peeve me so bad.. :)

10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pet peeve resolution 101:

(As presented by prof. death)

1.) Shoot the inconsiderate buggers!

2.) Shoot the &*(^#@*&@ maniacs!

3.) Shoot the servant!

4.) What do you think we should do to the last group of people class? Yes you've guessed it! SHOOT EM!

Thank you for you're time!
Enjoy you're day!

Kind regards
Death

12:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure sayings like "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" and so on, have some meaning in dealing with all the bs in life. If that is the case, then why do these events still bother us later on? How are we stronger? They should have replaced 'stronger' with 'more annoyed' or 'homicidal'. Perhaps they meant smarter. Hell, I don't know I'm just fishing here.

2:07 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

dear death,

feeling a tad nihilistic, are we?

*love everybody is destroying the value of -- all hate has got me nowhere*

*...i know im slipping... i know im slipping... i know im slipping aWaayyyyyy...*

lost soul,

what doesnt kill me, is a waste of my time

2:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Inconsiderate people should not be allowed to breed. That would take care of peeve #1 and peeve #2. Aah, I'm an evil eugenicist at heart, aren't I?

2:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lost soul

maybe it makes you smarter to let go of the issue....and you'r not so annoyed as you were before...maybe thats what it means to be stronger...(in the saying)

what do you think?

2:28 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

i think there are a lot of people that shouldnt be allowed to breed.

- alcoholics
- drug addicts
- politicians

the list goes on and on, really..

2:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The penalty for chewing gum should be life imprisonment.

1:10 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

And as we all know, politicians are prolific breeders, just like the uneducated masses they repress.

I don't mind gum, as long as it isn't someone else's. You should see what people do with their gum on the rides at Gold Reef City.

9:39 pm  
Blogger mike said...

Hmmm. Yes, I agree with all your peeves, numbers one and two especially. I also hate arrogant people.

9:37 am  
Blogger Lexi said...

i agree with those peeves....i think lots of ppl have those so then they're not pet peeves they're
....ummmm i don't know someone think of a suitable word here please

12:20 pm  
Blogger Anni said...

" the basic premise is this: women must serve men. men bring in the bacon. what does this mean for a girl like myself? washing dishes, laying tables, cleaning house, etc etc"


gaaaaHHH!!!!! I know what you mean! I can bitch about this all day.

12:34 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

dear winters,
isnt that a bit harsh? altho i do agree with the sentiment.

mr hunter,
democracy is a weird thing.

dear mickey,
arrogant people... hmm. i dont mind them. as long as they are arrogant where i dont need to experience it.

or if they have reason to be.

dearest lexi,
"general dislikes"?

i dunno.

"bad habits"?

dearest anni,
i could bitch about it all day too... but, i figured i shouldnt drag on too long... all this bitching good be bad for my karma.

or something

12:52 pm  
Blogger Debaser said...

Service!!!

Last night after work, Zelia, Peggy and myself went to have a drink at a nearby eatery. The waiter: forgot cutlery for Zelia's fruit salad; brought no extra requested cream for said salad; put a lemon wedge into Zelia's water after she asked for none; brought a shot of Amarula and Khalua instead of a Dom Pedro; dropped the empty glass on my shoulder; forgot to correct the Dom Pedro order on the bill.

4:49 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

*yikes*

i sometimes wonder if you cant claim the payable 10% tip amount from the restaurant when service is that bad..?

i think all can be forgiven if the servant in question was apologetic and smiled every so often..

4:53 pm  
Blogger Debaser said...

It was annoying but I lost no sleep over it, I'm convinced that he has never actually been out in public before...

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home