the padded cage

i like it here.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I need help with this conundrum

Friends, neighbours, countrymen - lend me your minds!

I am faced with a decision, and I don't know what to do. SO, here I will list the pro's and cons of each situation and welcome comments and advice.


The situation

I have obtained 2 job offers. They are for the same amount of money. The deductions will be more or less the same. The one job is as auditor, continue what I've been doing, etc. The other is as bookkeeper in a different town, away from the parents.


So, here are the pro's and cons.


Job 1 - Audit.

Pros

I stay in my parents' house for free.

I eat for free.

Satelite tv.

My laundry is done for free.

Lots of space, a pool, people to drive me around, or take me to hospital if i can't do it myself, etc.

Disposable income is sizeable.

I can save for overseas trips.

I know the area.

Travel claims.

Internet access.

My parents will be happy.

I get a lot of study time for the Board exam, ie a month and a bit.


Cons

I f***ing hate audit and would rather slit my wrists than do it for one more day.
I'd be driving to see my bf at least twice a month. It's a 9 hour trip, there and back.


Job 2 - Bookkeeper

Pros

I'd be in the same town as my boyfriend.

My social life will pick up

I'd have my own place.


Cons

I'd have virtually no disposable income.

I'm technically over-qualified for the job, it would be a step down and limit my career options.

I'd have my own place.

I don't know the place or the people, it may be worse than here.

I don't know how hectic the work there will be, how much study leave I'll get, or if the required overtime will bug me.
My parents will be pissed, coz apparently I can't take care of myself, will get pregnant within the first week and make one after the other bad decision.
Conclusion
So, those are my options. What do YOU think would be the best move?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

I don't think we can make this decision for you!

Was going to say that it was nice to see a cheerful post from you for once (referring to the previous one).

Do what makes you happy. Prove your parents wrong. :)

3:01 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

yeah, but what would mikey do?

3:04 pm  
Blogger arcadia said...

what's the other town?

4:06 pm  
Blogger AristoNeeks said...

Bloem.

4:18 pm  
Blogger eric1313 said...

Eric would opt for the first one and look into small airports and pilots that could fly me to see my significant other instead of driving, seeing as Eric would have tons of disposable income.

OK, enough third person chatter. I love the first option.

And I would keep my eye open for the step up in jobs coming in the future, one earned through hard work and dedication, one that would pay enough that you could move away and not worry about barely staying afloat.

Besides, if you bank your money right, you could have enough to get something really nice.

Prudence suggests staying home.

But the independent rogue that is my spirit says go and be with your boyfriend, too.

It's tough, but I like option one.

Thanks for the reads, I knew you'd dig on the "Your Love is an Angry God" poem.

10:03 am  
Blogger mike said...

I would move out. But that's because I am going insane living with my parents right now!

Go for the independence!

11:14 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I love Bloemfontein! It's the Dublin of the Free State! Wow, you do have a predicament here, don't you? I don't see how bookkeeping could limit your career options, probably the converse. If I were you, I'd give up saving for trips and embrace my independence. For once, Mike and I are agreeing over something!

5:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cheizette,I didn't wanna comment on this caus I'm prejudiced
but if you really want my opinion I think Mafikeng represents a better choice if your not gonna get study leave in Bloem,I mean you'd be on your own but at the same time you learn a lot about yourself living on your own,and your reasons for staying at home primarily revolve around comfort,I think as long as you have an equal shot at your qualification from Bloem,you should move,your gonna be a CA within a year anyway it's not like getting a well paying job will be an issue,I think what you'll learn through being outside your comfort zone for 12 months will be invaluable to you

8:32 am  
Blogger morbidneko said...

mikey,
that's what im thinking too - independence, my own place. im getting so old now...

eoh,
the thing is, my parents believe that if i take this job as a "lowly" bookkeeper, I won't finish my CA (chartered accountant) qualification. right now, im an auditor. i dont care for auditing. nay - i HATE it. i'm 2 exams away from qualifying, it would be idiotic to give that up.

anon,
i'm surprised at your objectivity, all things considered.

but, yeah, time is on my side for a change. i can wait, i suppose. although, in light of recent developments, i think i should just say bugger everything and move to jozi.

who knows.

i don't.

will wait and see what happens.

12:24 pm  
Blogger morbidneko said...

eric,
option one is the "safe" option. but - i suppose i didnt give enough info in the post.

where i'm at is... like living in nowhere. i've been living in nowhere for a large chunk of my life. when i say i have zero social life, i mean just that. no movies, no shopping, no clubs or pubs or coffee shops. We have one "highway", which is more like a main street.

...

i need to get a life.

and i think the only way to get a life, is to get out.

meh.

12:29 pm  
Blogger eric1313 said...

True. You should do that then. I didn't realize it was that bad.

Being on your own will be the best thing you could do, especially with a bright future ahead of you. Living at home has great benifits as well as the negatives, but if you want a life of your own, being on your own is the best idea. It's probably time to do that.

We'll be here for you. Maybe it's time to stretch your wings and fly solo.

Take it easy and talk to you soon.

9:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home